Saturday, 30 January 2016

Books That Deserve More Hype | Guest Post by Maia Moore

Today's post is a guest post from fellow book blogger Maia Moore from http://maiaandalittlemoore.com/. Go check her wonderful blog out!


Firstly, thank you so much to Rachel for having me here on her blog today. It’s nice to take a trip out and away from my own blog!

Rachel suggested a few topics to me when discussing guest posts, and the one that immediately jumped out to me was books that deserve more hype. This probably appeals to me as an older reader of YA - I’m 24, so not really the target audience, but I loved reading YA as a teenager and, despite what people said, knew it was something that I was going to ‘grow out of’.

Since I started blogging at the beginning of this year, I’ve read a lot of amazing, new (and new-to-me) books, but I’ve also been revisiting some old favourites. While they may have had some hype in their time, they’re still books that I think people should be reading and raving about today.

Note: After writing this, I’ve realised they’re almost all trilogies. I’m a big trilogy fan, it seems. Also, the photos are all my scratty old copies. I think it shows how well read/well loved they’ve been.

So, here we go:


5.


Tales of the Otori - Lian Hearn


IMG_2909.JPG

This is a real epic tale that captured me completely the first time I read it. While the writing style can sometimes seem a little detached, it’s the characters that really make this series - for all their weird and wonderful powers and the political intrigue, it’s the character traits, relationships and emotions that make this a thrilling ride as we follow Takeo and Kaede as they fall in love and make wars. While the trilogy is wonderful on it’s own, there’s also a sequel and a prequel for those who want more.




4.


The Looking Glass Wars - Frank Beddor


IMG_2914.JPG


I am a huge Alice in Wonderland fan, so this series leapt out at me straight away. It’s one of the best Alice themed books I’ve read and brings the characters everyone knows and loves to life in such inventive ways. It’s all slightly twisted and more serious than the more light hearted original, and I love the way it links things back to Lewis Carroll and the real Alice Liddell. I wouldn’t say it’s the best trilogy ever, but the first book is really something special. If you’re an Alice fan, you have to give this a read.




3.


The Welkin Weasels - Garry Kilworth


IMG_2908.JPG


This is a series of 6 books - but I’ve only read 3 so far - they’re from when I was about 14 years younger, and I’ve only just discovered there’s more (and I can’t wait to read them now!) They’re fantasy novels about a group of weasels who set out to find the humans who mysteriously disappeared years ago. I’m not always a fan of books with animals as main characters, but these were utterly charming and the story was captivating: they were forever running into strange creatures and dangers, some amusing, and some downright creepy. I haven’t read them since I was a teen but will definitely be revisiting soon.





2.

The Echorium Sequence - Katherine Roberts


IMG_2910.JPG


This is one of my all time favourite series and another that I like to recommend at every opportunity. I did get a blogging friend to read it this year - she gave it 4 stars, so I was happy. The world that Roberts has created is so rich in myth and history and magic that you can’t help but be sucked into the world of half-creatures and Singers and Karchholders. I feel she could keep on writing these books and I would just eat them up forever. The Khizpriest is also one hell of a creepy villain.



1.

The Borrible Trilogy - Michael DeLarrabeiti


IMG_2915.JPG

This is a series I can never tire of raving about. I got a battered copy of the second book in the series when I was about 10 - it was passed on from an aunt whose school didn’t want it in their library any more (probably because the book says words like ‘Crap’ a lot!) I read it and didn’t realise there was a book before, and one after, until a year or so later, but it felt like all Christmases came at once when I did. Borribles are clever, pointy eared, thieving children who never grow up, and spend the books earning names on adventures and avoiding the police, who want to ‘clip’ their ears and make them grow up. If there’s one book you read from this post then please make it this one, then come and talk to me about it!




No comments:

Post a Comment