Monday, 28 December 2015

Daughter Of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor | Review


Genre:  YA , Fantasy , Paranormal
Publication Date: 27th September 2011
Publisher: Little Brown Books For Young Readers
Rating: ✰✰✰✰✰

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

This book is set in a really interesting fantasy world , with monsters , angels and wishes thrown together. Although the world building is not complete yet , it's clear that this is an epic fantasy world. For me , this book started off slow and it would've been a 3 or 4 star review but by the time I was halfway through I couldn't put it down! The plot twists and turns and although some parts of it were predictable , it felt like a mystery where I had to put pieces together and come up with a possible truth.

I adored Karou as a character! She was independent . intelligent , loyal and brave but at the same time she was vulnerable and I related to her a lot. I liked how she knew what she had to do but she did in the way that she wanted. 

I wasn't sure whether I liked Akiva or not at the start but as we read from his perspective more I began to understand that he was both genuine and broken. I quite liked their relationship and I liked how it unfolded into something larger than you could've expected but I'm not 100% sure about him yet. As a character I think that he is very interesting and dimensional and I look forward to learning more about him.

I feel as if I've been searching for a book that I can love and feel so much about as I did with this book for months now and I am thrilled to have found this series. I've been reading a lot of contemporary lately and I'm happy to get back into the dark stuff! I can't wait to read the rest of the trilogy!

No comments:

Post a Comment