Thursday, 12 November 2015

The Reading Slump | What , Why and How To Cure

Ah...The 'Reading Slump' , the worst nightmare of anyone and everyone who enjoys to read books.


The dreaded 'The Book Hangover' that you can predict about half way through a really great book or series like "Well , you're not going to be reading another book for a while my friend." Or sometimes you read a book that is just so bad or infuriating that you lose your enthusiasm for reading and that's that. For a book blogger this is especially irritating because if there are no stories going into your mind , no reviews can come out!

I've been absent from my blog for the past month because of a reading slump. What was the cause of this particular curse , you may ask? Well there were actually quite a few. The first reason was that I read Queen Of Shadows by Sarah Maas at the beginning of September which was one of the best books I have ever read and after that I couldn't get into any other books. Another reason was that school started again and that's always a problem because you're tired and out of the house all day! The final reason was that I was part of a show. Rehearsals started in August and the show lasted for a week at the end of September. There was a cast of over 100 people so that meant lots and lots of new people which was equally terrifying and exciting. I could write a whole blog post about how good an experience it was and how it changed me but basically it was so exciting that for a little while I was living my own adventure and didn't long to read as much. All of that mashed together and I couldn't pick up many books.

My first reading slump was when I was 11 years old and had just finished Harry Potter. I didn't want to read anything that didn't have Harry and the gang in it so I didn't! Since then I have had many reading slumps , especially after big series! I always start books during these slumps and DNF them within a few tries and this always makes me really sad.

I have had a good few experiences in which I have narrowly avoided a reading slump by reading a good book right in time! All you have to do is tell yourself that you are going to read a book and you are going to do it now (easier said than done , I know!)  Here are a few recommendations for getting out of a reading slump or nipping it in the bud , as you would say!



Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
This book picked me up after reading all of the Cassandra Clare books in a month! My recommendation would be to read the whole series because then you have nothing to worry about ;). 



ANYTHING Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series like Lux or The Darkest Elements have gotten out of many reading slumps.


To All The Boys I Loved Before by Jenny Han 
My most recent saviour! It drags you in from page 1 and the pain from your last book won't hurt (as much) anymore!


My general rule is lighthearted and cute! Let me know in the comments what works for you or if you have any reading slump recommendations!

2 comments:

  1. I find I often get in reading slumps when I start reading too much of the same genre. I do find that lighthearted contemporaries seem to cure my reading slumps overall, though. I agree about Jennifer Armentrout, too. Her books are always so much fun. I haven't read anything by her in a while. I should try the Covenant series :D.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when I read too much of the same genre that I compare them and if one isn't as good as the last it turns me off the book , which is silly! I loved Covenant , it's probably one of my favourites!

      Delete