Saturday, 24 October 2015

The Next Together by Lauren James | Review


Genre: Contemporary , Historical Fiction , Time travel
Publisher: Walker
Publication Date: September 3rd
Rating: 4/5

How many times can you lose the person you love?
Katherine and Matthew are destined to be born again and again, century after century. Each time, their presence changes history for the better, and each time, they fall hopelessly in love, only to be tragically separated.

Spanning the Crimean War, the Siege of Carlisle and the near-future of 2019 and 2039 they find themselves sacrificing their lives to save the world. But why do they keep coming back? What else must they achieve before they can be left to live and love in peace?

Maybe the next together will be different...

A powerful and epic debut novel for teenagers about time-travel, fate and the timelessness of first love. The Next Together is told through a mixture of regular prose, diary entries, letters, "original" historical documents, news reports and internet articles.  

The concept of this book instantly dragged me in and as a history lover, this book was ideal for me. I read most of this book on a bus and it was really easy to jump right into this story. I could read so many books about Katy and Matthew and with this book we actually get to do this. I loved how the different time periods made slight differences in their personalities and how they were so perfect for each other despite their circumstances.

There are multiple plot lines/time lines in this book and it was confusing at times. We're reading about the same characters with similar plot but in a different time period so it gets a bit mashed together but I was interested in every part so it almost didn't matter. My least favourite plot line was probably present day because the historical aspect to this book was amazing and I couldn't get enough of it.

The ending felt a bit rushed to me and there were a lot of moments where I was like "wait what?" but overall I really enjoyed this book. It was funny , interesting frustrating and sad all at the same time and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes the idea of jumping into the past and the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment