Thursday, 3 September 2015

Interview with Nicola Yoon , author of Everything Everything

Hi everyone! Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon is a Young Adult novel that came out on September 1st and I was lucky enough to ask Nicola some question about writing!
 
 
                                                         About Everything Everything
 
My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster
.
 
 
About Nicola
 
Nicola Yoon grew up in Jamaica (the island) and Brooklyn (part of Long Island). She currently resides in Los Angeles, CA with her husband and daughter, both of whom she loves beyond all reason. Everything, Everything is her first novel.
 
 
 
 
 
The Interview
 
 
 
What is your writing process?

I write long hand into notebooks from 4 - 6 AM. I like writing early because my internal editor/critic is too sleepy to edit & critique and I just write all the strange things that come into my head!

Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
 
Read widely from lots of different genres. Try not to subscribe to the notion of highbrow vs. lowbrow. I will read pretty much anything anyone gives me. My second piece of advice is not to give up on your dreams. It took me 22 years of working as a financial programmer before I got my first book deal. Don't give up.

Are there any books that inspire you to write?

 
Do you have any tips for writing villains like a pro?
 
Pretend your hero is villain and that your villain is the hero. It's a great way to get at motivations and to humanize the characters.
 
Thank you Nicola for answering these questions (pretty amazingly if you ask me!).
 
You can purchase Everything Everything on Amazon or read about it on Goodreads and you can find Nicola on Twitter.
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the hero/villain advice! I never thought of it that way!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I! I will definitely use that in the future.

      Delete