Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Top 5 Character Tropes That I Hate | Top 5 Wednesday


 
Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly list meme created by Gingerreadslainey and you can find out more in the Goodreads group. This weeks topic is Character Tropes That I Hate. You can read about my favourite character tropes here.
 
 
 
1) Insta-Love
Ugh. There is nothing worse than a character falling irrevocably in love with someone at first glance. The book series could go on for years but if a relationship began with insta-love it'll never feel right to me. For example , in A Court Of Thorns and Roses two people go from hate to love in like 0.7 seconds and that really lessened my love for the book. (I gave it 4 stars but still.)
 
 
 
2) "I'm not like the other girls"
This happens far too much in YA. The main character doesn't care for nice clothes or any of that "pretensiousness". Everyone is individual and just because you're unrealistically strong at 16 that does not put all of the other human beings into a lesser category.
                

 


3) Teenagers and rebellions
"Hi , I know I'm only 16 but I still have enough life experience to start a rebellion that will cost a lot of lives." ... Well , I'm 16 and the hardest decision I can make is whether a book was worth 4.5 or 5 stars. I'm no expert but I personally don't think that a teenager as the head of a rebellion is giving out the image of a strong side.
 
4) History doesn't exist
Unless it happened as a result of the thing that changed everything , it doesn't matter. Worlds, whether they are dystopian or fantasy , that don't have history creep me out. I like when it's mysterious , not everything in history makes sense but when everyone accepts that history is a no-go , that seems unrealistic to me. I love history , whether it's fictional or not!
 
 
 
5) The perfect love interest
I'd say that 90% of the YA love interests that I've read have been described as practically perfect. One of the reasons that I love Mindwalker by AJ Steiger is that the love interest Steven is extremely flawed. The beautiful thing about book characters is that we see their personality before their face and I wish that authors used that more.
 
 
What are your least favourite tropes? Leave a link to your T5W posts below!
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Agree so much with Instalove. Just NO! Also agree with the teenagers leading the rebellion, I know I couldn't do it at 16.
    Feel free to look at my T5W post here: http://powisamy.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/top-5-wednesday-tropes-i-hate.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely cannot stand instalove! Most tropes I can deal with if they're done well but not that one.

      Delete
  2. Love your list. I agree with you on the prefect love interest - give me some characters with flaws and they will be perfect for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes them human , nobody is absolutely , stunningly beautiful and angelic with a wonderful personality. Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  3. I completely agree with the history not existing trope. When I am reading a fantasy or dystopian series, I NEED to be immersed in the world. I love finding out what happened in the past to make things the way they are and discovering the events and people that shaped the world itself. I don't think I can really care about the world or the story or the characters if I end up not knowing that much about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I want to know which circumstances led to the way the world works today or else it doesn't seem real.

      Delete
  4. Completely agree with all of these. These seem to be on everyone's lists. Definitely a sign that authors need to shake it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely noticed some crossovers! I'm okay with authors using some of these tropes but twisting them to make it their own story but they rarely do.

      Delete
  5. Def agree with you on instalove! It's like a lazy way to skip the lovey dovey part of romance and i'ts just not accurate!
    I personally despise the manic-pixie dream girl. I hate it when the male character is all depressed and suddenly a "beautiful", "quirky" female character appears and completely changes his personality. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's so unrealistic and boring! I forgot about the manic-pixie trope but is definitely up there with my least favourites.

      Delete