Monday, 10 August 2015

One by Sarah Crossan | Review

 
Genre: Young Adult , Contemporary , Verse
Publication Date: 27th August 2015
Pages:  448
Format: ARC
Source: Publisher
Publisher :  Bloomsbury Childrens
Rating: ✰✰✰✰✰
 
Grace and Tippi are twins – conjoined twins.

And their lives are about to change.

No longer able to afford homeschooling, they must venture into the world – a world of stares, sneers and cruelty. Will they find more than that at school? Can they find real friends? And what about love?

But what neither Grace or Tippi realises is that a heart-wrenching decision lies ahead. A decision that could tear them apart. One that will change their lives even more than they ever imagined…

From Carnegie Medal shortlisted author Sarah Crossan, this moving and beautifully crafted novel about identity, sisterhood and love ultimately asks one question: what does it mean to want and have a soulmate?
  
 
I finished this book 10 minutes ago and I'm my heart is still thumping. I knew that this book would be unlike any book I've ever read but wow , this was crazy. For one thing , it's written in verse and I've never read a book that was fully in verse! I flew through this ,  I never wanted to stop reading because it was a constant flow of storytelling and that was honestly amazing.
 
Grace and Tippi are conjoined twins , relying on donations for home schooling but when they run out of money , they have to go to real school. The two girls are thrown in with the wolves , completely clueless while dealing with the constant stares and pitying peers. They dread the idea of school but when they make a few true friends and begin to enjoy their life , their world turns upside down.
 
We read from Grace's point of view and the first thing we learn about the twins is that they're completely different. Grace feels that Tippi always speaks for the two of them and keeps a lot of her troubles inside where as Tippi is outspoken and confident. It was fascinating to see how normal being conjoined was for them! They don't sit around complaining about it because being an "we" is all they've ever known. The only thing that makes Grace's content slip away is the concept of love. Is it an option for them? Tippi doesn't think so. They have a beautiful relationship and an irreplaceable love for each other that was really moving and just amazing.
 
I knew that this would be a heart breaking read but this book made me feel so many emotions that a book hasn't made me in a long time. This story doesn't have a happy ending , it ends with a new beginning. We'll never know what the future held for the characters but there was certainly bitter-sweet hope that made me extremely happy with the ending! I think this book has made my special list of favourite books , that's how much I loved it. I would recommend this book to absolutely everything. It's a beautifully written , emotional and moving whirlwind that I will remember for a long , long time.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment