Monday, 3 August 2015

How I Afford To Buy My Books


Books are a lot of things but they are certainly not cheap. Almost all of my books are paper backs that cost between €7 and €15. Considering that I have over 100 books that is a lot of money! I am 16 and have no income , completely reliant on my parent's money and I obviously can't just buy books upon books when it's not even my money! I'm sure everyone has their own book buying tips and tricks but I thought I'd write a post about how I have afforded to read over 50 books this year. An obvious money saver is the library but due to my asthma , among other boring health stuff , unfortunately I can't read books that aren't new because of dust.


1) This may seem like an obvious one , but I always have a good look at the deal tables in eason or whatever book store I am in. Most bookshops do seasonal or monthly book deals and I used to stay away from them because they'd make me buy more books but I've mastered the art of only buying the books I know I'll read. If I spot a book that I want to read on the table , I will look through the books for a book that I've been meaning to buy or that interests me and I will buy both of them. If I doubt that I'll read it , I will not buy it but there is nothing worse than buying two books from the deal on different days!
 
 
2) It's coming up to your birthday and you are being swarmed with the dreadful "What do you want for your birthday?" questions from friends and family alike. I have recently gathered up the courage to tell them to gift me book vouchers because there's not much else I want really (Is that sad? Not really.) You can choose the books you want , when you want to read it! Another thing you could do is make a book wishlist and if someone wants to buy you a book for whatever reason , they'll get you something that you want to read. It sounds kind of rude but trust me , it takes the stress of gift buying from whoever it is.
 
 
3) Sometimes you just want to go into a book shop and buy some books. It can make any day better! Saving small amounts of money throughout the month means that I can buy some books! I only let myself spend the money that I've saved and therefore I don't end up spending too much. It's also really rewarding and you feel less guilty if you go in with the intention of spending however much money. I know that wanting to spend money isn't a good idea but realistically , when do you enter a bookshop and not want to buy 10+ books? 
 
4) Loyalty cards take time but lucky for us book loving folk is that we buy books pretty often. Most big book shops have loyalty cards available at the counter and they're super easy to use! You give them your card when buying the book and you earn points for that. In the end , your points build up into store credit and you get free books as a reward for buying books. It's only a small saving but it's the build up of little things that make a difference!
 
 
 
5) Enter giveaways! Sign up for mailing lists from your local bookshops or campaigns like the national book tokens because they do lots of competitions! Chances are , you won't win but just do it anyway because maybe , maybe! If you're a blogger , consider requesting ARCs for review from Netgalley or Edelweiss. You can trade books and ARC's with fellow bloggers! There are so many ways to receive cheap or free books online!
 
 
6) I have left this one for last as it is most definitely the biggest saver of them all. The beloved and shamed eReader. I was incredibly reluctant at first but honestly , I find it so easy to read on it! They cost a good bit of money at the beginning but the investment is incredibly worthwhile. Most of the books I have read on it have cost less than €5 and some of them have even been free. I have a Kindle paperwhite and I am unconditionally and irrevocably in love with it (cringing at my own reference). One of my favourite things about the Kindle is the sample option. If I'm unsure about a book , I'll read the sample and decide if I want to buy it or not. I could write a post about the advantages of eReaders and eBooks (in fact I did , but it was when I was very new and it's not very good). The only problem is I sometimes lose track of the amount of books I have read that month but I write down the books and cost now so it's all sorted. Consider buying a kindle , most people swear by them! There are so many wonderful books that I wouldn't have read if it weren't for my kindle , example , anything Colleen Hoover.
 

2 comments:

  1. I love buying books! I save most of my money by buying them second hand, but for you that's not an option. This is a good list of alternatives! I'm thinking about investing in an e-reader, but we'll have to see.

    At least with an ereader you could borrow ebooks from the library (if your library offers that) because they wouldn't have the same amount of dust as printed books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eReaders are definitely worth it because you appreciate actual pages so much more after reading an eBook for a while but never notice the difference when you're actually reading an eBook. (Did that make sense?) Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete