Thursday, 27 August 2015

Half Bad by Sally Green | Review


Genre: Young Adult , Fantasy
Pages: 394
Publication Date: March 4th 2014
Publisher: Viking Books
Rating:✰✰✰✰½
 
 
Wanted by no one.
Hunted by everyone.


Sixteen-year-old Nathan lives in a cage: beaten, shackled, trained to kill. In a modern-day England where two warring factions of witches live amongst humans, Nathan is an abomination, the illegitimate son of the world's most terrifying and violent witch, Marcus. Nathan's only hope for survival is to escape his captors, track down Marcus, and receive the three gifts that will bring him into his own magical powers—before it's too late. But how can Nathan find his father when there is no one safe to trust, not even family, not even the girl he loves?

Half Bad is an international sensation and the start of a brilliant trilogy: a gripping tale of alienation and the indomitable will to survive.
 
 
 
In this modern day London there are witches , both black and white. The whites hunt the blacks and both sides hate each other but Nathan's Mother is a white witch and his Father is an evil black witch which does not go down well. He is disapproved of my all of the white witches and has been in various imprisonments since he was 14. Throughout the book we follow him at different time periods in his life , learning about how he is treated my other white witches and even members of his own family.
 
I do not read enough witch books , that is one thing I am sure of. I can't think of any other witch books that I have read other than Harry Potter (witches and wizards but hey) and a little bit of Heir Of Fire by Sarah J Maas. I literally had no idea what this book was about before reading it and only bought it because of the amazing reverse cover that it had. Seriously , I looked for the blurb and saw another side of the cover but in different colours and was sold. I really didn't know what to expect with this book but I am so glad that I read it.

Nathan is an incredibly interesting character , he's constantly hunted but he thinks rationally and takes his time when needed. Despite the circumstances that would make most of us go insane with anger , he stays moral and somehow keeps his hilarious personality. No matter what anyone says about him he believes that he is good , even when he begins to question what good really is. For the most part , this book is dark but Nathan is one of the brightest parts about it. Throughout the book we meet lots of characters that Nathan meets at different stages of his life. Every single one of these characters were mysterious and interesting and despite what Nathan thought of these characters , you never truly trusted them and you never truly hate them.

My favourite part of the book was the world that Ms Green created. I haven't read a fantasy book set in modern day London since...well , Harry Potter and that was a really great aspect to it! I loved the witches and the differences between the white and the black ones. When witches turn 17 , they are given three gifts and when they receive those gifts , they also receive a power of some kind. I loved how the power worked and the different types of powers. I look forward to finding out even more in the sequel!

The only thing I didn't like was that it took me about 50 pages to really get into it , but I also liked the mystery of said 50 pages so that's why I only took away a half star.

One of the main things I noticed was how interested I was in Nathan's story , as well as that of the side characters. I really can't wait to continue this series and I would definitely recommend this book to all fantasy lovers!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment