Tuesday, 4 August 2015

Fairy Tales That Should Be Retold | Top Ten Tuesday

Top 10 Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish and you can find the topics here . I'm twisting this topic a bit as I have read some fairy tale retellings like A Court Of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas and The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer but not enough to rank them or even list 5. I'm going to list some fairy tales (and a few myths and legends) that I would love to see retold in YA. I love fairy tales despite the fact that I'm not a huge fan of Disney movies but I do love reading them and watching Once Upon A Time on ABC so I can  definitely give this topic a go! Some of these fairy tales have been done before but I've never read them so if you have any recommendations , comment below!


So let's get into it!
 
 
 
 
 
 
1) I would love a retelling of The Little Mermaid because there are not enough mermaids in YA. It's also a lot darker in the original so I think that'd be interesting! There are lots of characters and dynamics that could work well with YA if it was loosely retold. It doesn't even have to be about mermaids , the author could take the 'mermaid who wants to be a human' thing as a metaphor!
 
 
2)I know that this has been done (ACOTAR for example) but I think that The Beauty and The
Beast is such a beautiful and powerful story that there is a lot you could do with it while retelling! It could literally be a beast or maybe someone who believes that they are a beast. There are so many different version that could be wonderful!
 
 
 
3) I think that the story of Aladdin could fit into the typical YA story. I can definitely imagine a retelling of that with lots of magic!
 
 
 
 
4) Recently I've been really interested in Arthurian Legends. We discussed this in last weeks UKYA Chat and a lot of people would love to see those stories made into a YA novel! How cool would a story about Merlin ,King Arthur , Lancelot  , Guinevere and all of that stuff?
 
 
 
 
 
5) There are so many Celtic legends that I would love to see retold. They're rarely modernised so someone should bring them back!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
6) More stories from the POV of the common villains! Why did they go out of their way to destroy the life of the protagonist? Do you feel sorry for them or are they just completely insane? What about their past? Did something terrible happen to them , causing them to lose faith in life and happiness? Is there any part of themselves that is human?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
That is all of the fairy tales and legends that I can think of right now. What are your favourite fairy tales? Have a good day!
 

 
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. I like your suggestions! Have you read Elizabeth Wein's Arthurian books, starting with The Winter Prince? She has a really unusual take on the legend, not least of which is that she makes the villain Mordred her central character in that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't! That sounds really interesting , I'll look into it. Thanks! X

      Delete
  2. Even though it isn't YA, you should check out the King Arthur Trilogy by M.K. Hume for some Arthurian books! Great post :)

    Jamie @ Books and Ladders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely check them out. X

      Delete
  3. The new Melissa De La Cruz book- The Isle of the Lost focuses on the descendants of the Disney villians: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22639095-the-isle-of-the-lost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The concept of that has already made me want to read it! X

      Delete
  4. There are literally SO many stories that I would love to see retold and re-invented...maybe I'll just have to write them myself! Haha. Thanks for stopping by A Blonde Librarian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Villains are so interesting, I would absolutely love to see more books from their perspective or at least having some moments in their POV. And the things I would do for an Aladdin retelling... Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to know their reasons behind being so evil! It makes them more human or sometimes even more terrifying! Thanks! X

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of villain retellings! Regina from Once Upon a Time is my favorite. And actually Marissa Meyer's new YA standalone is going to be about The Queen of Hearts, before she meets Alice. It will be interesting to see where she takes the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore her character ARC! I heard about that , I'm looking forward to seeing how she twists it.

      Delete