Wednesday, 29 July 2015

Top 5 Character Tropes | Top 5 Wednesday

As always , Top 5 Wednesday was created by Gingerreadslainey and you can find out more in the Goodreads group
This weeks topic is Character Tropes so let's get started! If I've got this right , a character trope is something you see often in books.
 



1) Love Triangles

LET ME EXPLAIN! Everyone acts as if love triangles are the worst thing in the world and in some cases , I agree but I love a good love triangle when it's done right! I love to compare characters and character relationships. I like when two sides of the triangle are both good and flawed people who care about the other side. Usually , I can pick a side based on the character I prefer but other times I'm so torn that I could rip my hair out.
I know that some people hate love triangles because of those reasons but I love to analyse actions and decide which couple works better. My rule with love triangles is that they can't take over the story , the main character can't forget about all of her problems other than the love triangle. My favourite type is when person 1 (usually main character) is loved/liked by person 2 and person 3 but person 2 and 3 are friends or have a certain loyalty to each other. I personally think good examples of these are in The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare and Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas.
 
http://rambling-reads.blogspot.ie/2015/07/top-ten-characters-that-are-also-book.htmlYesterdays post was about this very topic. Characters often love reading and to me that makes a lot of sense. Usually , a author loves reading and they'd want to put that part of themselves into their characters. It makes the character relatable to anyone reading the book! I personally love to see how the character reads and what they take from it , how it influences their life and the types of stories they read. I like characters who are subtle readers , not cringeworthy and scarily obsessed ones. Again , I like when the stories they are reading influence how they react to the problems that they face throughout their own book. I named lots of characters like this here.
 
 
3) Characters going from evil to good / good to evil
 
I find it hard to forgive people and characters , especially if they were evil before. Although I don't want all of my favourite characters to turn into villains , I do appreciate it when it happens. In my opinion the best character arcs are when something bad happens to a goodie and they turn into a baddie because you feel sorry for them even when they try to kill everyone you love. I always love a good , fleshed out villain with lots of delicious backstory. You see this in Harry Potter by JK Rowling  (so many times) and Shatter Me by Taherah Mafi.)

 
 4) Multiple perspectives    
 
There are so many reasons that I love stories with multiple point of views. I love to see the contrast between how a character sees themselves and how others view them or how different characters view the same situation. I think it tells us so much about the characters themselves!  My favourite types are when they have two different timelines as well as perspectives. You see this in Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover and it's so beautifully done! Vicious by VE Schwab plays with all types of perspective so you really can't trust anybody. They are both some of my favourite books of all time!
 
 
5) Royalty
 
I love when books are set in the middle of a royal court. It's my guilty pleasure and has been since I was young. I love the struggles that come with the life that seems so perfect and how it affects everyone. If I hate a book that is like this , it's either because it wasn't done correctly or the royal bit was the only part I enjoyed. I'm really into history and obviously , monarchies are a huge part of that so I love the different dynamics that only appear in those situation. (I also love big dresses and sword fights which seem to go along with that!) There were a lot of things that bothered me about The Selection Series by Keira Cass but I loved life inside of the palace!
                        

6 comments:

  1. I'd have to disagree with characters that love to read! When I come across massive bookworms in books it makes me cringe. It's almost like the author is like 'look at this character reading a book just like you!'. But I totally agree with royalty, especially The Selection! I love seeing modern royalty, as well as historical royalty and fantasy royalty. There are so many different aspects to it!

    Charlotte @ Bookmarks and Blogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely understand where you're coming from but for me I guess it depends on the person , I've read some cringey ones as well! Sometimes it seems like a lazy attempt to make a character relatable. I love when characters have the bigger problem of ruling a nation as well as their personal problems! Have a good day! X

      Delete
  2. ooh I agree so much with the first one about love triangles, I love them too (when done right ofc)! hm I'm not really a fan of characters who read though as, like you said, it's usually obsessive or cringe-worthy. I don't mind hermione but in non-fantasy, contemporary worlds it just seems a little.. off? I don't know. like an "YOU LIKE TO READ SO YOU MUST LIKE TO READ CHARACTERS WHO READ" scenario from the author and I don't dig it. kinda confusing, I have a complicated thought process :p

    THE GOOD-TO-EVIL/EVIL-TO-GOOD ARCS ARE SO GREAT OH MY GOSH I ADORE DRACO'S CHARACTERISATION SO MUCH FOR THESE REASONS. I wish j.k. rowling would expand upon his redemption more.

    great list! I thought this was lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the character for me if they like reading as a back round thing! There are so many characters like that in HP , far too many to list! Thanks! xx

      Delete
  3. I really like characters who love to read as well! I like what you said about love triangles...most of the time the reason I don't like them is because the characters get too distracted by the love triangle and it ends up taking over the story.

    I enjoyed reading your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even in a romance novel , I don't think that romance should be the only thing that the character cares about because it's just not realistic! Thank you! X

      Delete