Monday, 27 July 2015

The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury | Review



Genre: fantasy , young adult
Pages: 333
Release Date: March 1st 2015
Publisher: Scholastic
Rating: 3 stars

I am the perfect weapon.
I kill with a single touch.

Twylla is blessed. The Gods have chosen her to marry a prince, and rule the kingdom. But the favour of the Gods has it's price. A deadly poison infuses her skin. Those who anger the queen must die under Twylla's fatal touch.

Only Lief, an outspoken new guard, can see past Twylla's chilling role to the girls she truly is.

Yet in a court as dangerous and the queen's, some truths should not be told...


I should start of by telling you that this is my second time writing this review as my first one was a stream of angry and confused thoughts.

Let's  start of with Twylla , our main character. She has a poison in her veins that lets her kill people at the touch. This is obviously , pretty damaging considering she hasn't touched anyone unless it was to kill them in years. I know what your thinking , Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi but no. They're completely different , you rarely even notice the similarity (except for once , I will discuss that later.) One of the main things I noticed about Twylla is that she is very na├»ve. She trusts almost everyone without looking into it any further which really annoyed me at times. I wasn't surprised when she started to realise that not everything is true and other than that she was really boring to me. She's selfish and tells herself that she is enduring the luxuries for the sake of her family when she rarely thinks of them.I could not relate to her what so ever and she seemed so dry and underdeveloped.

Twylla is The Sin Eater's Daughter. Sin Eating was one of the good parts of this book and I found it really interesting! When someone dies , a plate of food is given to The Sin Eater to be eaten on their coffin. Each food represents a sin that they made during their life and by eating it , The Sin Eater cleanses their soul. I loved the fantasy in this book as it was very based on the belief of gods and we don't see that as much as the usual dose of magic and the like. There is a fairy tale told in this book and I think that any reader would know that it would become significant as we read on but it was not quite what I expected. Something that I was not expecting was the incest. Princes and princesses married each other and one character brought it to the next level of disgusting.

As you can tell by reading the blurb , Lief , Twylla's new guard is a love interest. I hated their romance , to get that out of the way. I like fantasy mixed with a good romance that doesn't take over the plot but this was not what I like. It was the worst type of instalove and this is where I'll compare it to Shatter Me. It was like when Juliette falls in love with the first man she can touch after no time at all but at least they vaguely knew each other before that. Their relationship was so dry , boring and doomed and although the ending made up for that , I still didn't like it.

I did not like Lief at all. He was far too outspoken and childish for my liking. I'm fine with stubborn characters and freedom of speech but a guard knows what he has to do to avoid treason , Lied did not. Everyone knows that you can't call the prince a swine to his future wife. Twylla could've easily told someone and he'd be arrested for it! He was boring and not fleshed out very well. His character never made any sense and I always suspected that something was up but what actually happens was slightly shocking (emphasis on the slightly)

Despite my problems with both main characters , for some odd reason I kept reading. It started off really strong but sank in the middle , picking up a bit at the very end but I never got bored of reading it. I enjoyed the reading itself and it was only after that I was angry. A character that I did like was Prince Merek but Twylla  and Lief seemed to hate him because he was a prince. He was the only one that had clear goals , any drive to act and he had troubles that Twylla thought to be stupid. Merek was clever , observant and kind to people who didn't deserve it and I hope we see him in the next book because I honestly think he would've improved the book.

The ending was pretty anti-climatic. There was a big plot twist that I liked (it was a bad thing but clever) but the epilogue was so...strange. It was as if a few chapters had fallen out and I had no clue what was going on but if my one suspicion is correct , I am furious. Anyways , I don't regret reading it because I did enjoy it and I look forward to the sequel and to getting some answers. I really don't know if I'd recommend this book because some people love it , some hate it and somehow , I agree with both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment