Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Top 5 books of the year so far |T5W

The top 5 Wednesday Goodreads group and creator


This year is a state exam year for me (they start the day that this goes up...yay...) so a lot of the books I've read have been deliberately lighthearted. There's not many big fantasies or beautifully written books that I've read this year but I've still enjoyed most of them! 


5) A Little In Love by Susan Fletcher 



This book is a retelling of Victor Hugo's Les Miserables from the point of view of Eponine. I've never read Les Mis in full , although I do plan to, but I've seen the all recorded versions of the musical countless times so I was definitely interested in this book. I loved how Eponine was portrayed in this novel aswell as the other main characters from the musical like Cossette and Marius. I loved meeting people like Enjolras along the way and getting to know characters that aren't in the musical. If you have seen les mis I would definitely recommend this book! 

4)The Covenant Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout 






This book is about the ancestors of Greek gods and the discrimination between purse and half bloods. This is definitely a more lighthearted series than something like Throne Of Glass but I enjoyed it very much. Although if wasn't as serious as other series's it does have some deep moments in there. I went into more detail about why I love this series  here

3) A darker shade of magic by VE Schwab 







This is one of the only high fantasy books I've read this year and it's also the first VE Schwab book I read. This book is set in a world in which there are 4 alternate London's. It has lots of perspectives that tie in together at the end and is packed full of interesting characters. The contrast between the characters and the differences between the London's was very interesting to read about. I went into greater detail in my review

2) A Court Of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas 





This is another one of the only high fantasy books I read this year. I read Sarah J Maas' Throne of Glass series last year and loved it so I had high expectations for this book. And if a new series by one of my favourite authors wasn't enough to excite me , it's a Beauty and The Beast retelling! Now I'm not a Disney girl (to be honest I'm not a movie girl in general) but Beauty and The Beast is one of my favourite stories. It's about the fae and is very loosely retold but you can see the similarities! I read this book in 2 days but it felt as if I had been reading it for a year because so much happens! There is a very obvious begining, middle and end. I can't wait for the rest of the series!

1) Twenty Eight and A Half Wishes by Denise Grover Swank 




This is the last book that I read and that is not why it's number 1 , I promise! It all starts when Rose Gardner sees herself dead. Rose has lived under her abusive mothers rule for 24 years and decided that enough is enough. She writes a list of the things she wants to do before she dies and doesn't care what we mother thinks anymore. Rose has the sight , she can see the future of other people but has no control over it and whenever she sees something she has to say it out loud. This gets her in quite a bit of trouble , especially when she finds her mother dead in the same spot she was fortuned to die in! Rose is now a key suspect in the murder and when another person she knows is murdered , she starts to question her involvement in all of it.
I have so much to say about this book , firstly it's the first mystery I've ever read ! I want to read mysteries now , it was such an interesting aspect of the book. Rose is one of the most interesting characters I've ever read about and she made me laugh out loud at times. I've reviewed this book ,you can check it out  here

No comments:

Post a Comment