Friday, 29 May 2015

Books that I wouldn't have read if it weren't for book blogs/booktube

Whilst participating (and getting very confused by all of the tweets) in this weeks UKYA chat for the first time , I realised how many books that I never would have read if it weren't for the internet book community recommending them. I live in Ireland and there are a lot of books from all around the world that aren't published here , so there's no way I could have doing them. Here is a list of some of my favourite books that I wouldn't have read if it weren't for book bloggers and booktubers (for which I am eternally grateful) and maybe someone who reads this hasn't read or heard of one of these books and chooses to read them which would be great!

Slammed by Colleen Hoover
As far as I'm aware Colleen Hoover's book aren't available in bookshops over here and the only reason I read Slammed was because of a recommendation video for good contemporaries. I downloaded it on my kindle , not really knowing what to expect and I laughed , cried and swooned while reading it. It's basically about a girl called Layken who moves states after her father dies and her mother gets a new job but she is not happy about this. She meets Will Cooper ,who has a passion for slam poetry ,and is instantly attracted to him. Of course , not everything goes to plan and they find out something that brings their relationship to a halt. This book  introduced me to all of Colleen Hoover's wonderful novels and made me want to read so much more contemporary!

The Lux Series by Jennifer L.Armentrout 
Jennifer L.Armentrout was one of those authors who I heard their name mentioned a lot on booktube and filed it into the back my mind with the label "Check those books out someday"  and left for a while. Then one day I had nothing to read and opened the "Check those books out someday" and reached in for a lucky dip. I dodged Stephanie Perkins and Marrisa Meyer and picked out Jennifer L.Armentrout. (Why am I speaking in metaphors? I have no clue , it's half ten and I've been awake since 6 , my brain is a marshmallow) . Lux follows a girl who moves town and now lives next door to Daemon , who she despises after their first encounter , she soons starts to notice something strange about the family next door but can't help (no matter how hard she may deny it) falling for Daemon.
It's a cute paranormal series about hot aliens ...if that hasn't sold you , I don't know what will.

The Lunar Chronicles by Marisa Meyer 

6 months ago , when I reluctantly bought this book because it was on a buy one get one half price deal based on booktube hype , I was positive that I didn't like fairy tales and fairy tale retellings. 6 months later, after reading this series and others and watching all of Once Upon A Time in less than month, I admit I was completely wrong.
Cinder , Scarlet , Cress (and soon to be Winter *squeels*) are sci-fi fairy retellings , set in a world in which 5 world wars have been and gone. The earth is united against their common enemies on the moon. It is such a good series ...if you , like my old self , don't like Disney movies and think that that is a reason to not read this books you're wrong!

The Shatter Me Series by Taherah Mafi 

I bought this from the book depository on my original book buying craze after joining booktube and it took me a while to read it but when I did I loved it! Shatter me is about a girl named Juliette and her touch is lethal. Her parents put her in an asylum and an army want her as a weapon. A character from this series holds the joint title of "Character that went from 100% hatred to 100% my favourite" with Regina Mills from Once Upon A Time.
I recommend this series ! But if I'm going to tell you to read it I have to warn you to READ THE NOVELLAS! You really really REALLY need to read the novellas , okay? Trust me!

These fantastic books are just a few out of so many that I've read because of our great community! It's one of my favourite things about being a book blogger and booktuber. I'm so happy to be a part of this community and to be able to share my favourite books as you share yours with me.

Lots of love , Rachel x

2 comments:

  1. I agree! I have found so many books from other bloggers and booktubers, including Rainbow Rowell's books which I have fell in love with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those books! Thank goodness for book bloggers/tubers! X

      Delete